Thursday, March 03, 2011

Learning to fall

William is in the process of learning to stand by himself and it occurred to me that the hardest part -now that he can pull himself up- is learning to fall. As in life, don't you think?

Learning how to manage a fall and pick yourself up is just as important as learning and being able to navigate your life.

So I am trying to show William that he will be ok if he lets go and falls, that bending his knees a little helps, that his tush is soft and sturdy enough to cushion the blow, that he will be safe.


Emma, at the good old age of 3,5 is also learning to fall. In fact, for the first time that I can recall she is falling a lot -not out of clumsiness as has often happened when she is tired - but at out actually being able to let go of her cautiousness. She is riding her balance bike - the one without pedals - and falling a lot because she is going fast! and downhill! and boy is she falling!!! But it's great to see because she is daring to do things she never dared to do before.


I think this is one of those times when I have a lot to learn from my little ones.

No comments: