Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Wow! I would hate to miss this!


P1020611.JPG, originally uploaded by NSDY.

In Geneva women are entitled to four months maternity leave. If I'm not mistaken, that's twice as much as women in France and about a quarter of what can be taken in northern Europe.

The thing is, although every day, week and month since Emma was born has brought it's magic moments (challenging and tough ones too), and Emma has been smiling and laughing for over 6 weeks, it is now, at nearly five months, that she is really interacting with us and giving us clear and varied feed-back. Laughing, chattering away, testing new sounds, imitating us, grasping at things with her pudgy hands and sticking everything into her mouth with her dimpled fingers.

Perhaps as her mother I have been privileged to witness these moments earlier and more often than even her Dad and certainly the rest of her family, but I'm pretty sure that's mainly because I spend the most time with her.

Although I look forward to taking up activities without Emma, I wouldn't want to miss any of it for the world. Although bringing up kids can be hard work, I am so happy to be able to spend so much time with her.

Oh, and another thing; I take my hat off to single moms. Respect.

No comments: