Thursday, October 02, 2008

Small victories, big difference

At the end of her third week in kindergarden, Emma is back to her 2 hour nap routine, although it now takes place at the kindergarden and from 11h30-1h30pm. Why is this so great? Well, for one she needs the sleep. But it also means I no longer have to spend my afternoons with Crankerella. Emma's beauty sleep means she's in a much better mood, which almost always guarantees that by sunset I'll be in a better mood too. (I'm crossing fingers it lasts!)

This week we have also made a huge progress when it comes to brushing her teeth. This is something I have been trying to do since May. On and off. Every time Emma would hate it so much I would give it a break for a couple of weeks and then try again. It's been very traumatic for both of us. I felt like I was pulling her teeth out rather than trying to brush them. Well, finally, she will let me brush them a little longer each day without it all ending in tears. We even use a little toothpaste (elmex for kids).
Every morning after popo we brush our teeth, and every evening after dinner and before the bath we brush our teeth and we even occasionnaly use a little tooth paste (Elmex for kids). Yipppeee! This is a TRULY BIG victory!!!
Also, I have now installed a step ladder in front of the sink and every day when we come back from the park or school and before meals we wash our hands! Yippee! This is also a victory 'cause Emma does not like her hands being touched nor does she like cold water, but it never caused the huge tears tooth brushing did.
At the moment I seem to be spending a great deal of time catching mugs or pepper grinders in mid-air, grasping at my mobile phone in an attempt to stop the bill from being astronomical as Emma has decided to call Asia, wiping snotty hands and noses, and basically just running around in circles trying to put out small fires. Ah, the career of a mother...at times it's just not gratifying and so exhausting - but I know in no time at all, things will have changed and I'll be discovering something else with Emma and family life... ups and downs and merry-go-rounds.

No comments: