Thursday, June 21, 2012

Update from Geneva

So, the weather has not been as awful as the weather man had predicted, but it has been humid and heavy and we are looking forward to the predicted storm to break the tension in the air. 
Other than that, Emma has turned into William's Mum - sometimes helpfully but often annoyingly as she is obviously not equipped for the job at the grand age of nearly 5. This frequently results in her fighting his growing independence; not letting him put "his" groceries in the fridge or his things in the laundry basket but taking them from him and doing them in his place which ends up in William having a massive fit.
I am finding this exhausting and no amount of explaining that helping is good but that he needs to also learn to do by himself/ he has a Mummy/ asking her to do her own "jobs" is getting through. 
I think part of it is jealousy (because he is requesting more attention) and part is wanting to compete with me or replace me (as in be a Mummy herself - don't all girls play that?) which I think is part of development of push/pull loveyou/love you not in between a mother and daughter. But I am struggling to have enough praise and energy to fill Emma's cup on my own. It's as if no matter how much I listen, answer, explain, encourage. play, tease, tickle, it's never enough - she always needs more of me. And then I just can't anymore. 
Will on the other hand is increasingly independent and so requires running after and catching and also frequent saving from the mischief he has gotten himself into.  Actually, I often need to save a house-hold object from Will as he unplugs/dismounts/ opens everything! 

Oh well. 

 Anyway, Will decided to poo in the potty all by himself for the first time yesterday. 

Here he is just afterwards
and here are Emma and Will on the merry-go-round in the centre of town

Tomorrow is Friday and Steph will be joining us for the week-end! Yay!!!!

No comments: